The Best Banana Bread Recipe
This recipe was a total fluke. Me and my two year old loooovvvee baking together so one Saturday I went to pull out my family’s old banana bread recipe and to my surprise it had disappeared. My son was all geared up ready to bake and we had no recipe to follow... so we winged it, threw in some new ingredients, and came up with the best banana bread I’ve ever tasted and it’s wayyyy healthier than your typical banana bread!
1 1/2 cups of flour (we use organic unbleached flour)
1 TSP baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 TSP baking powder (you can make your own for a healthier option. See note below).
3 TBS chia seeds
1 TSP cinnamon
3/4 cup chopped walnut (optional, but my favourite option that I highly recommend!)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 large egg
1/4 cup olive oil or coconut oil (coconut oil needs to be a liquid consistency)
3 ripe bananas
1. Preheat over to 175 degrees Celsius (350 degrees Fahrenheit)
2. In a large bowl mix together the first 6 ingredients
3. In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients
4. Chop up walnut to desired size. If your kiddos don’t like nuts go ahead and grind it smaller. They won’t know it’s there but you’ll still get the health benefits that comes with this tasty ingredient!
5. Slowly mix the wet and dry ingredients together.
6. Fold in walnuts and/or raisins
7. Lightly oil a loaf pan (preferably glass pan) and pour mixture into the pan. Avoid using non scratch pans
8. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
9. Remove and test with a toothpick. Don’t over bake the loaf but make sure the toothpick comes out clean.
10. Let cool and enjoy!
Notes: I plan on trying this with spelt flour next time to make it healthier but if you beat me to it let me know how it turns out!
To make your own baking powder and avoid some of the unhealthy ones sold in the grocery store, mix in separate bowl 1 TSP of baking soda and 2 TSP of cream of tartar (powder). From this take your 1 TSP of baking powder and add to dry mix.
This batter will also make 12 regular sized muffins. Bake for approximately 18 minutes.
Let me know if you give this recipe a whirl! I’d love to hear what you think!