When’s the last time you cleaned your makeup brushes?
If you’re not cleaning your makeup brushes at least once a month, this article is for you. Even if you don’t use makeup regularly or use a lot of makeup you still need to give those ladies a proper cleaning monthly, if not more frequently. Nasties like oil, dirt, bacteria, and skin cells accumulate on the brush and could be contributing to acne, skin breakouts, poor makeup application, and clogged pores. I even heard of bugs making their way into makeup brushes and setting up camp… oh yes… so gross… SO! Are you ready to start cleaning?!
- A bowl
- A towel
- Take your brushes and run them under lukewarm water ensuring the brush is facing downward.
- Put a small drop of soap in the bowl and fill with 1 inch of water.
- Swirl your makeup brushes in the mildly soapy water. Rinse and repeat until the water remains clear.
- Give your brushes a good rinse in fresh water to ensure there’s no soap residue remaining.
- Dab your brushes with a towel gently and lay out to dry. Gently fan them out with your fingers to allow them to dry faster. Never pull on the bristles as this could damage the brush.
Simple enough right? Now, set a reminder in your phone to clean your brushes at least once a month and you're set!